Tuesday, September 18, 2007
the one about merdeka
I love history, coz it's amazing to note how parallel the present is with the past.
Recently in my history class, we started examining and discussing the post-war events, which means we're moving closer and closer to where we are now. As I am reading through my materials, pondering over my tutorial questions and listening intently during lecture, my mind was racing.
Is it any wonder that the younger Singaporeans have taken our independence for granted? Perhaps we had not gone through what our forefather had gone through, which is why we adopt this "bo chap" attitude towards local politics. We had not gone through the pains of war to ignite feelings of nationalism in us. We have not experienced colonialism to feel strongly the need to break free. We were not there when the Communist Emergency engulfed the Malayan region to appreciate democracy. We had not last through the wars of politics from 1949 - 1959 to feel the excitement of elections and polling.
You know, I watched that scene where MM Lee Kuan Yew shouted "Merdeka" over the podium after one rally in 1959, and I felt something rising up from within me.
How different is Singapore now?
As I read through the details of how Singapore achieved self-independence, I guess I can sense the excitement of that era, the need to break away from colonialism, and thus the fight for independence through merger. I actually do wish that Singapore shows the same level of participation in elections now, perhaps to show more concern in who is governing Singapore, why they want the power of governance, what are they promising us and in the end, what's our take in these matters.
The 2006 elections perhaps was the most exciting episode in my memory, considering that I was not old enough to understand and witness PAP losing quite a number of seats in 1991. I was inspired by the Worker's Party last year, because of their "pro-Singapore" stand rather the usual blind "pro-party" stand.
Well, I'm not going all "nationalistic" now, just reflecting from what I've been learning in class.
Some things to cheer about: as of next year, I am a legal voter!! Yayness!!
Right, like it makes a difference...
1:36 PM