Thursday, October 11, 2007
the one about thursday
Today is Thursday, my most hated day of the week for the past 2 months.
I'm refusing to start on my term paper which is a "personal reflective essay based on research." So here I am writing on my thursday.
Today was interesting. We did the chapter on leadership in Public Administration lecture today and I have my weekly scholars' leadership workshop which always leave me hungry. So tonight's topic will be Leadership!
We have been exploring the field of leadership for the past 2 month, asking ourselves what does it define, what it encompasses, and what qualities a leader should possess. I started taking leadership positions in primary school in the roles of the prefect but that felt more like a "law enforcer" than a leader. I don't remember feeling the weight of leadership cast upon my shoulders until poly: Being vice-president for Peer Support Group and most significantly, leading my FYP through completion.
Contrary to popular beliefs, I do not jump at the first chance of power. In fact, I'll most probably be the last. I adopt a passive attitude to leadership, believing that if someone wants it, I should not fight with him for it, regardless of how much MORE competent I am. Most of the time, I rise to the position only when circumstances call for it. Does it mean that I do not take initiative? No, it means that I am sick and tired of power struggle. Let's put it simply, I am the dependable leader, which means you can count on me to get something done in the most dire straits.
I am also the 'people' leader, believing in achieving efficiency through building long-lasting relationships. Unrealistic you say? Well, to each one's own.
I guess I've always been like this, just that it takes a DISC and personality tests for me to pinpoint the exact terms for the characteristics dormant in me all along. You guys should read my DISC report, it's so accurate! By the way, I am a "stable" person.
Guess I better start on my papers. Darn.
11:55 PM